Friday, May 01, 2009

Heroes Helping Heroes


This is the place of heroes. Home of the Airborne and Special Operations Forces. The more time I spend with these guys, the more I appreciate the sacrifices they've made for me and for you.

My volunteer work on Fr. Bragg mostly puts me with men and women who have been injured and are on the mend. Whether it's Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), or shrapnel wounds, or bullets, or a non-combat injury, these guys have earned our respect and our gratitude. No matter how you feel about the war, don't ever forget the people who put their lives on the line for you every day. Some of them have paid a horrible price for that.

I've seen the Army struggle with how to handle the wounded warriors and I've seen some of the mistakes they've made, but rest assured they're working hard to do the right thing. It isn't just the Army, though, that's working hard. I'm amazed at the number of civilians who have stepped up to offer what help they can. The men and women of the Wounded Warriors Battalion are frequently invited to get away for a day or two by generous citizens who take them to sporting events, hunting and fishing trips or just a barbeque on post.

These events provide a break from the monotony of daily PT and medical care, but more than that they give the soldiers a day to put all the "baggage" on the shelf and relax. Participation by the soldiers is less than universal, but for those who do take advantage of the opportunities, a welcome respite awaits.

Makes me proud to be an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think - thanks.